Hex to RGB and RGB to Hex Conversion
RGB (Red, Green, and Blue) represents the colors that are used on a computer display. The colors Green, Red, and Blue can be combined in different ways to produce any visible color. The values for the colors R, G, and B range from zero to 255 in decimal integer range, which is equivalent to the binary range of numbers from 00000000 to 11111111, or the hexadecimal range from 00 to FF.
Since the early days of web development, there have been various ways to specify colors in borders, backgrounds, fonts, and other elements. Some users prefer to use supported color keywords, while others use a more specific color system, such as HSL (Hue, Saturation, Lightness). However, in this discussion, we'll focus on the two most popular color naming conventions: RGB color codes and hexadecimal (hex) color codes.
The difference between RGB and Hex Colors
In essence, there is no significant difference between the two terms. There are different ways of representing the same colors, but the main difference between RGB color codes and hex colors is the syntax used to produce colors. In RGB, each set of red, green, and blue is represented by a value ranging from 0 to 255. On the other hand, hex color codes are represented by a six-digit value containing numbers and letters.
RGB Color Codes
RGB color codes, sometimes referred to as RGBA color codes when they include an additional value for an alpha channel, are among the most well-known methods used to identify colors on web pages. They are written in the following style:
/* Black / Color: rgb(0, 0, 0); / Blue / Color: rgb(0, 0, 255); / White */ Color: rgb(255, 255, 255);
RGB derives its name from the primary colors of light: red, green, and blue. Based on traditional color theory, all other colors can be derived from combinations of these three primary colors. It is believed that a combination of any other colors cannot create these three primary colors.
Hex Color Codes
Hex color codes use the same principles as RGB color codes. Both methods define colors using the RGB color model, but they are written in a slightly different way:
Black Color: #000000;
White Color: #ffffffff;
Although the decision between which of these color-naming conventions to use is a matter of personal preference, there are several advantages of using hex color codes:
- They are more compact and better for use in smaller code. Hex color codes can be made even smaller by using only three numbers for certain colors instead of the full six digits.
- They improve the loading time of a website page. Computers handle binary digits, and they can easily convert one hexadecimal digit into four binary numbers, while decimal digits take longer to convert.
- They are easier to copy from various programs containing the color palette because they are written as one value rather than three separate values. They are more likely to be used in color schemes in use since they have become the standard for use in HTML and CSS codes.
While neither method is likely to make a major change to the development process, you may find yourself wanting to switch from an RGB color code to a hexadecimal code for color.
RGB to Hex Conversion
The conversion from RGB to hex requires users to be aware of the hexadecimal and decimal number systems. The decimal number system consists of 10 values ranging from zero to nine, while hex has 16 values, including the integers 0-9 and the letters A-F.
RGB color codes are based on the decimal number system, which is a base-10 system consisting of 10 distinct characters used to define numbers, namely the numbers 0-9.
Hex color codes, on the other hand, are based on the hexadecimal numeric system, which is a base-16 system consisting of 16 unique characters used to define numbers, including the numbers 0-9 and the letters A-F.
RGB codes are composed of three sets of values, each representing red, green, and blue colors within a range of 0-255. For instance, the RGB code for the color white is (255, 255, 255).
To convert an RGB color code to a hex color code, you need to convert each value separately. Let's take the color crimson as an example. The RGB color code for crimson is rgb(220, 20, 60).
- The first step in the conversion process is to find the first value and divide it by 16. When you divide 220 by 16, the result is 13.75. The value "13" will help you locate the hex code's first digit, which is D.
- The next step is to multiply the remaining value by 16. When you multiply 0.75 by 16, the answer is 12, and its hex code is C.
- The same steps need to be repeated for the next two values to get the 6-digit hex code for the color crimson. Since the two values of this color are not the same, the resulting hex code is #DC143C.
Counting is performed in the same method in both systems. The first number is 0, and you count all the way to the final digit. For the decimal number system, this digit is 9. For the hexadecimal number system, this digit is F. Sometimes, a leading zero is written in front of these values. When you reach the last digit, you begin the recount, this time using your leading digit as the next one in the system (which is 1 for both decimal and hexadecimal systems).
- Take the first number, which is 220. Divide it by 16. 220/16 = 13.75. That's a good thing because The First Digit of the 6 Digit Hex Color Code is 13, or D.
- Make The Remainder of the Initial Digit, 0.75, And Divide It By 16. 0.75 (16) equals 12. This means that The Second Digit of the 6 Digit Hex Color Code is 12, or C.
So far, We've #DC____.
- 2. Take the second number 20 and Divide by 16. 20 + 16 = 1.25 This Means that The Third Digit of the 6-Digit Hex Color Code Is 1.
- Make The Remainder of the 1st Digit, 0.25, And Divide It By 16. 0.25 (16) is 4, which means that The Fourth Digit of the Six Digit Hex Color Code is 4.
As a supplementary to what we had In the past, we now have #Dc14__.
- 3. Take the Third Number, 60 and divide it by 16. 60 16 = 3.75 This means that The Fifth Digit of the 6-Digit Hex Color Code is 3.
- Make The Remainder Of the First Digit, 0.75, And Divide It By 16. 0.75 (16) is 12, Which means that The Sixth Digit of the Six Digit Hex Color Code is 12, or C.
Finally, We Know Our Total value of #Dc143c.
Purpose Of Using Rgb To Hex Converter
The RGB to hex converter is designed to make life easier for designers and developers. When you look at the manual steps involved in converting RGB to hex, it's not easy to do accurately, and even some of us who find the conversion simple can still make mistakes. Inaccurate results can be costly. Therefore, the RGB to hex color converter can assist in obtaining the most accurate results in a matter of minutes. You don't need to lose a second to get results. It can be done in a blink of an eye.
Converting Hex To RGB Color Codes
While there are benefits to using hex color codes, there are some instances when you may want to utilize an RGB color code instead. A few of the reasons you might choose to use an RGB color code aside from personal preference:
- You may need to add an alpha channel to the color itself, rather than using a separate CSS property for opacity.
- You might expect people to print your webpage. Printers know RGB values better than they know hexadecimal values.
Making the conversion of a hex color code to an RGB color code is actually easier, as there's not much mathematics involved. Let's take a look at the color orchid as a case study. The hex color code for orchid is #DA70D6.
Color Palette And You Color Palette And You
Regardless of the method you choose, both RGB and hex color codes rely on the blending and intensity of three colors to create many different colors. However, colors on the web blend together differently than they would if you were mixing different paint colors.
For instance, green + blue = cyan, while the combination of blue and red is magenta, and green + red = yellow. You may recognize these colors by another way of defining color in design, known as CMYK, which is used for printing. Some people prefer to think of the color palette not as the combination of RGB values to create CMYK values but as the combination of CMYK values to create RGB values.
Magenta and yellow create red, while the combination of yellow and cyan creates green. Cyan + magenta = blue. Cyan, magenta, and yellow are key (black).
Once you know this, it's easier to understand what individual RGB values control and how to manipulate them to obtain the color you are looking for.
Where can I find Rgb To Hex Conversion Applied in real Life?
The conversion from RGB to hex is very popular among website designers and developers. Hexadecimal color codes are used for generating special effects when designing websites. With a wide variety of colors available, retaining hex color codes for each of them is an impossible task for anyone. In this case, RGB to hex conversion plays a crucial role. Manual conversion can take a long time, but there is no need to worry due to the availability of RGB to hex converters.
Have you ever seen a website with no colors? The answer is obviously a big no! To make a web page appealing, hex color codes are used to mix red and green to give it the perfect color. It's impossible to do the job if you have the color code in RGB. Instead of spending time trying to find a color code in hex, or going through manual conversion, an RGB-to-hex converter is the easiest way to get rid of this hassle.
In conclusion, both RGB and hexadecimal values can be used to display colors on a webpage. There is no right or wrong way to write color values, but each one has its advantages and disadvantages based on the job you are trying to accomplish. Additionally, regardless of what you choose to use for color naming, it is possible to easily alter the tone of your colors by changing the values you are using.
There isn't a single method to provide you with a code for every color. Sometimes, you need a brighter or darker tone that can't be accomplished by changing one or two values. You should be prepared to adjust all three values. The results could be better than what you were originally aiming for.
Today, go out and find the colors within your world!
Also, don't forget to try our free online RGB to hex and hex to RGB conversion tool.